南京夜网,南京性息网,南京上门按摩

Feed Rss

Archive for February, 2019

Hayley Dodd’s mother calls for no body, no parole law

02.19.2019, Comments Off on Hayley Dodd’s mother calls for no body, no parole law, 南京夜网, by .

Margaret Dodd, pictured with a photo of Hayley Dodd and her father Raymond, has launched a petition to change WA’s parole laws, making it required for convicted murderers to divulge the location of their victim’s remains before receiving parole. Photo: Photo: Richard Polden Police at the scene of a Bandgingarra search related to Hayley’s disappearance. Photo: Sipplied
Nanjing Night Net

Breakthrough in Hayley Dodd case as QLD approves extradition of accusedFamily pleads for answers ahead of anniversaryTimeline of Hayley Dodd’s disappearance

The mother of Hayley Dodd, who disappeared in 1999, has launched a petition to change WA’s parole laws, making it required for convicted murderers to divulge the location of their victim’s remains before receiving parole.

Margaret Dodd launched the petition on Change.org on Thursday, and within four hours it had garnered more than 100 signatures.

The petition had more than 400 signatures within 24 hours and has now passed 1000.

The petition, which is directed at Member for Mandurah David Templeman and WA Attorney General Michael Mischin, calls for the adoption of a ‘no body, no parole’ rule, preventing convicted murderers from being released without information on their victim’s location.

“Western Australian residents draws to the attention of the House that under the current law persons convicted of murder may receive parole even though they refuse to disclose the whereabouts of the victim’s body,” the petition says.

“This prevents the family of the victim from gaining any closure.

“There is a need to amend the Corrective Services Act… to provide that persons convicted of murder and other offences cannot obtain parole without disclosing the location of the victim’s body.

“By making parole contingent upon the location of the body, it is hoped that this may give some closure to the victim’s family and provide incentive for prisoners to co-operate with police and other authorities.”

The petition has drawn support from both local residents and nationally though social media, with a number of people showing support on the Change.org page.

“Why should a person who took the life of another yet then enjoy life on the outside with out giving closure to families,” commenter Tobi Meakins said.

“This makes no sense.”

In October, Queensland Attorney General Yvette D’Ath approved the transfer of Francis John Wark to WA on the basis of allegations that Mr Wark was responsible for Hayley Dodd’s murder.

Police allege the man abducted and murdered Ms Dodd as she was walking along North West Road, Badgingarra, on July 29, 1999, though her body has never been found.

Mr Templeman said he would fully support Ms Dodd’s attempt to change the law.

“I am very happy to support Margaret’s Petition because I think what she raises is very valid and has a great deal of merit,” he said.

“I am very happy to receive the petition and present such a petition to the WA Parliament. There would be many in our community who would strongly support a “no body, no parole” clause in our criminal legislation.

“Such a move would assist families in their ongoing grieving for their loved one and for some assist in some form of closure.”

Hayley Dodd was from Mandurah, but had been working as a roustabout in Dongara before she went missing.

The 17-year-old was last seen walking along North West Road near the intersection of Winjardie Road, a few kilometres east of the townsite.

She had hitchhiked from Dongara and intended to stay at a friend’s farm about 20 kilometres from Badgingarra. She never reached her destination.

Via Mandurah Mail.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Learn more

UN’s Ban Ki-moon urges Australia to rethink refugee policy in extraordinary rebuke

02.19.2019, Comments Off on UN’s Ban Ki-moon urges Australia to rethink refugee policy in extraordinary rebuke, 南京夜网, by .

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon. Photo: Mary Altaffer A self-portrait from a child in an offshore detention centre. Photo: Supplied
Nanjing Night Net

The Pulse Live: Stephanie Peatling blogs live from ParliamentRegion rallies against Chinese expansion

The world’s top diplomat has issued an extraordinary plea to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull over Australia’s asylum seeker policy, voicing unease over offshore detention and urging him to reconsider the nation’s entire border protection regime.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon met Mr Turnbull on the margins of the ASEAN Summit in Kuala Lumpur last week, trading his usual soft diplomacy for stronger language when discussing refugees and migrants in the Asia-Pacific region.

In a statement, the United Nations said Mr Ban “expressed concern over the detention conditions in Australia’s offshore processing centres” and encouraged Mr Turnbull to “reconsider” Operation Sovereign Borders, Australia’s military-led regime to combat people smuggling and oversee borders.

Counter-terrorism dominated talks at the 18-nation summit, one of a string of international meetings attended by Mr Turnbull less than three months into the job.

It came as the Australian navy turned away a suspected asylum seeker boat from Christmas Island on Friday, and as Australia prepares to accept 12,000 refugees fleeing devastation in Syria.

The UN statement said Mr Ban acknowledged Australia’s longstanding commitment to refugee resettlement, but appealed to Mr Turnbull to “share responsibilities”.

The pair reportedly discussed problems in Syria and Iraq and exchanged views on preventing violent extremism.

“The Secretary-General indicated that he is preparing a comprehensive Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism for presentation to the General Assembly in the beginning of 2016, and looked forward to the support of Australia,” the statement said.

It is understood the language used in the United Nations statement is stronger than that Mr Ban used personally when speaking to Mr Turnbull.

Speaking to reporters in Kuala Lumpur over the weekend, Mr Turnbull said recent terrorist attacks in Paris and Bamako had focused attention on how to counter violent extremism.

“We are intensifying our co-operation on counter terrorism with all of our partners in the region. Sharing intelligence, of course, is of critical importance,” he said, adding that countering terrorist messaging on social media was also a high priority.

Mr Ban and Mr Turnbull also discussed climate change and negotiations ahead of global climate talks in Paris later this month.

Mr Ban “encouraged Australia to lead efforts to ensure a low-carbon, climate-resilient future,” the UN statement said.

Meantime, the Senate on Monday passed a bill to remove all children from onshore detention by Christmas.

The Migration and Maritime Powers Amendment Bill (No.1) will now return to the lower house.

The amendments proposed by Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young were passed with the support of Labor and crossbenchers.

Other passed amendments included opening detention centres to media scrutiny, mandatory reporting of abuse and reversing law changes that punish staff for speaking out about conditions in detention.

Senator Hanson-Young said Mr Turnbull must now decide whether to “reverse the will of the Senate and the people just so that he can keep children locked up in detention?”

“These children have had their childhood taken from them … at least now they can have a real Christmas,” she said.

Follow us on Twitter

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Learn more

Health care workers more likely to be targeted in armed conflict

02.19.2019, Comments Off on Health care workers more likely to be targeted in armed conflict, 南京夜网, by .

Christoph Hensch in Chechnya with the Australian Red Cross in 1996. Photo: SuppliedWhen Christoph Hensch woke to banging and shouting in his building, his first thought was that people were having a party.
Nanjing Night Net

He pulled on his trousers, thinking he would investigate the commotion, when the door swung open. He could see through the semi-darkness a man wearing a head covering and a military jacket entering his room.

His next thought was that he was going to be kidnapped.

“I thought, ‘What’s my best way of staying safe? It’s probably not to resist.’ And I tried to talk to the person,” Mr Hensch said.

“As I was talking, he pulled his right hand from the pocket of his anorak and pointed a gun at me and shot.”

The bullet lodged in Mr Hensch’s shoulder and blasted him back onto the bed, where he turned his head to the wall and waited for the noise to subside.

When he looked back, the man had gone.

But six of his Red Cross colleagues were murdered in their beds, in a massacre that made headlines around the world in 1996 and spooked the international aid community.

Mr Hensch, the head of administration, was the only shooting victim to survive.

They were working in a makeshift hospital in Chechnya, south of Grozny, providing care to victims of the armed conflict, when gunmen stormed the compound.

Four nurses and two administration workers from New Zealand, Spain, Holland, Canada  and Norway lost their lives, prompting the Red Cross to pull out of Chechnya and most other aid organisations to follow suit.

The incident shook Red Cross workers from the illusion that their famed neutrality protected them from aggression and its anniversary is commemorated in memory of all aid workers who are killed carrying out humanitarian work.

But new research indicates that healthcare workers in conflict zones are more likely than ever to be targeted.

Nearly 2400 incidents of violence were directed at health care workers in 11 countries between January 2012 and December 2014, according to a report by the International Committee of the Red Cross [ICRC].

International agencies including the ICRC, World Health Organisation and World Medical Organisation are calling on state armed forces to respect the rule of law that protects medical personnel from aggression and raise awareness of the red cross and red crescent symbols.

Australian Red Cross director of international humanitarian law Phoebe Wynn-Pope said medical professionals were protected under the Geneva Convention because it was recognised there needed to be people to look after the wounded.

“The concern is this increasing number of targeted attacks on ambulance and health care workers and medical facilities, and the knock-on effect that is so destructive,” Dr Wynn-Pope said.

Red Cross workers including anaesthetist Jenny Stedmon have noticed a debasement of the symbol of the red cross for miscellaneous first aid purposes, and a waning respect for it.

“The red cross is meant to be a symbol of neutrality,” said Dr Stedmon, who has been with the organisation for 30 years.

“They’re not part of the war. But my personal opinion is there’s so much aerial bombardment these days, it’s very hard to see the enemy.

“It’s very hard for people to remember in their minds that this is a healthcare facility and we’re trying to help and help everybody, not one side or the other.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Learn more

‘Horrendous’: Man charged after baby allegedly beaten and burnt

02.19.2019, Comments Off on ‘Horrendous’: Man charged after baby allegedly beaten and burnt, 南京夜网, by .

A 23-year-old man has been charged over the alleged attack on a baby. Photo: Channel NineA 10-month-old baby boy sustained “horrendous” water burns to 40 per cent of his body in circumstances that investigators are treating as domestic violence, police allege.
Nanjing Night Net

The baby was at home on Castlereagh Street in Penrith on Sunday afternoon with a 23-year-old man, who had been in a relationship with the boy’s mother, Detective Superintendent Brett McFadden told reporters.

Investigators, including officers from the Child Abuse Squad, were contacted by ambulance paramedics who had been called to assist the baby.

The boy remains in a critical condition at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead.

His mother, who is “very distressed”, is with him.

“This 10-month-old received what I would say are significant and horrendous injuries,” Superintendent McFadden said.

“We understand that some of the injuries relate to burning of the skin – about 40 per cent of the child’s body.

“There are other injuries there that appear to be consistent with blunt force trauma.”

The 23-year-old has been charged with recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm and is expected to appear before Penrith Local Court on Monday morning.

“The biological mother of the child and the 23-year-old male [who] has been arrested have been in a relationship for the last four or five months and for the last few weeks they had been residing together at the Penrith address,” Superintendent McFadden said.

“We are considering this as a domestic violence-related matter.”

The man was known to police, he said.

❏ Support is available by phoning National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service 1800 737 732; Men’s Referral Service 1300 766 491.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Learn more

Football Federation Australia executive John Kelly joins Southern Cross Austereo

02.19.2019, Comments Off on Football Federation Australia executive John Kelly joins Southern Cross Austereo, 南京夜网, by .

Southern Cross boss Grant Blackley (above) will be joined by FFA’s John Kelly. Photo: Robert ShakespeareSouthern Cross Austereo has appointed John Kelly as its chief operating officer, a newly created role in the regional television and national radio broadcaster.
Nanjing Night Net

Mr Kelly, who is currently Football Federation Australia COO, will join Southern Cross at the beginning of February where he will join the revamped management team under chief executive Grant Blackley.

Mr Kelly previous spent more than 16 years at Ten Network Holdings where he rose to chief financial officer and worked with Mr Blackley who was at the free-to-air broadcaster between 1997 and 2011, first as general manager of network sales then as chief executive.

“John’s appointment is a key element in building Southern Cross Austereo’s management team, who are responsible for leading the company’s success,” Mr Blackley said.

“His strong strategic focus and management skills, demonstrated by his long senior career in both media and sport will be invaluable in building a stronger and more successful Southern Cross Austereo.”

Mr Kelly, who joined the FFA in 2012 as CFO then moved on to COO, said: “I am excited at the opportunity of joining Grant and the leadership team of Southern Cross Austereo, to further advance improved performance of such a significant group of media assets.”

Mr Blackley, who joined Southern Cross in June, has undertaken a range of management changes in his short reign.

In 2015 the company has brought in Brian Gallagher as chief sales officer, Vijay Solanki as chief digital enablement officer, Creina Chapman as head of regulatory affairs and Tony Hudson as general counsel.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. Learn more